Brusno valley called the Hell has long been known for occurrence
of mineral springs. They were mentioned in district inventories
ordered by the Council of Governors in Buda. The mention of the
springs had been found in a publication dated 1829 publishing
results of a survey which was, in fact, an inventory of mineral springs
in Hungarian districts. The mention about Brusno mineral springs in
this publication made researchers assume that the use of the springs
for their healing effects began around 1829. Medzibrod Parish Chronicle, written by Ignác Hrdina, includes the following record from
1818: “...and the mountain which is closest to Brusno meadow with a
mineral spring...”. In the past, the springs were allegedly used casually
by miners and woodcutters passing by on their way to work.
The first person..
- The first person to come up with the idea of building a spa in the
area of mineral springs was Andrej Kasanický, a forester from the village of Ondrej. In 1833, he submitted a written request to the Forest
authority in Banská Bystrica for permission to build the first wooden
spa room (Badstube) in Brusno valley. The records later revealed that
there was an anonymous spa company behind the effort to build
the spa in the area of Brusno mineral springs. At the time, the estate
of Slovenská Ľupča covered 42 villages with a number of educated
people, and it is said that some citizens of Ľubietová and Brezno also
endeavoured to have the spa built.
A significant role..
- A significant role was played by priests ministering in spa areas, such
as Michal Fodor from Dubová, who was familiar with the spa in Sklené Teplice, where he formerly served as a priest. It might have been
this increase of interest in Brusno mineral springs which led the Mining Chamber in Banská Bystrica to commission their doctor Gotfríd
Fišer to study the mineral springs and decide if a large and prosperous spa centre could be built there. This was the first professional
examination of Brusno mineral springs and Dr. Fišer carried it out on
17 July 1834, accompanied by representatives of Ľupča estate.